Kelly Ayotte is rehashing an outdated conservative bill in a recent op-ed that would make birth control up to 600 bucks more expensive per year and cost women around the country more than $480 million.
One big problem for Ayotte – it’s the same bill that Cory Gardner sponsored last year when his argument that it would make birth control “cheaper and easier for you” was deemed “mostly false.” No surprise that the American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and Planned Parenthood oppose Ayotte’s bill.
As Planned Parenthood noted last year, this over-the-counter option for the birth control pill is Ayotte’s shiny object to distract from backwards Republican policies that would limit access to contraception she supports, like:
- Repealing the Affordable Care Act, which currently provides birth control at no cost;
- Supporting the Blunt Amendment, which gives employers the right to deny coverage for birth control and other preventative services;
- Supporting Hobby Lobby, which allows private companies to unfairly discriminate against women by not providing contraception coverage;
- Ignoring all other forms of birth control, including more effective methods;
- Forcing women to pay out of pocket for birth control; and
Kelly Ayotte will not be able to hide her record of supporting policies that would make healthcare more expensive for women while limiting access to preventative services like mammograms from New Hampshire voters.
Published: May 27, 2015