Today, as we near the end of Hispanic Heritage Month, Al Día News published an op-ed from American Bridge 21st Century Co-Chair Tom Perez detailing how President Biden and congressional Democrats’ Build Back Better agenda is crucial for Latino Pennsylvanians.
As highlighted by Perez, President Biden’s plan will put “thousands of dollars in the pockets of Latino families who are struggling to get on their feet” thanks to a middle-class tax cut benefiting “nearly 4.5 million Latinos in the U.S.” and cut the “Latino poverty rate by nearly 40%.”
Read key excerpts from the op-ed detailing President Biden’s plan to address the issues Latino Americans face every day.
Al Día News Op-Ed: President Biden’s plan is crucial for Latino Pennsylvanians
By: American Bridge 21st Century co-chair Tom Perez | October 7, 2021
- “At the start of Hispanic Heritage Month, I am especially grateful for all of the work President Biden has done on behalf of the Latino community. His actions are in stark contrast to those of Donald Trump, who built his presidency on vitriol and hate toward the Latino community — from ripping families apart to blocking hurricane aid to Puerto Rico.”
- “Thanks to President Biden’s swift action, millions of Latino Americans have the support they need to get back on their feet, including thousands of dollars in their pockets from the president’s expanded Child Tax Credit that kicked in this July. That’s money every month in 2021 that parents can use to pay their bills, put food on the table, and buy their kids warm clothes for the winter.”
- “In Pennsylvania alone, these payments help 2.5 million Pennsylvania families with children and are projected to lift 140,000 children out of poverty. And it has been crucial for the 85% of Latina women in America who are either sole or co-breadwinners for their families. This is great news for Latino communities everywhere.”
- “President Biden has introduced an aggressive agenda that will ensure the fundamental things that the Latino community has needed for years: good jobs, lower health care costs, and a great education that begins with universal pre-k. These are the things that can put millions of people on a path to opportunity in this country.”
- “And the best part is, the president’s plan will be paid for by ensuring that large corporations and the wealthy pay their fair share. It won’t cost working and middle class Latino families a dime — in fact, it will lower their taxes.”
- “The president has put together a real agenda that will address the issues Latino Americans face every day, and will do it without costing middle class families a dime. That’s leadership. I’m proud to have voted for a president who is laser-focused on supporting Latino families. Now, it’s time for Congress to get it done.”
Read Tom Perez’s full op-ed here.
Published: Oct 7, 2021