Today, families will receive another installment of President Biden and congressional Democrats’ Child Tax Credit, a historic middle-class tax cut signed into law as a part of the American Rescue Plan. Parents across the country will have extra breathing room this holiday season to help pay for child care, extracurricular activities, and the essentials all families need.
As parents prepare for the new year, Democrats are focused on passing the Build Back Better Act, which will guarantee families continue to receive the payments they need to build a better future for their families.
Here is what people have to say about this tax cut for working families, which has cut child poverty by 40 percent:
Up North News – The Expanded Child Tax Credit Has Lifted 45K Wisconsin Children Out of Poverty. It Will Expire Soon if Congress Doesn’t Act.
- “[The Child Tax Credit] has allowed us some peace of mind as prices are climbing for groceries, gas, clothing and basic needs,” [Danette Brown, a young mother of two] said “The child tax credit has allowed us to bridge that gap and let us leap over that hole we find ourselves in a few times a year.””
Penn Live Opinion: Congress must Build Back Better for Pa. kids
- “This legislation is a once-in-a-generation opportunity to help end child hunger. Across the Commonwealth, it could strengthen access to school meals for nearly 600,000 students and tackle summer hunger with the creation of a Summer EBT program.”
Georgia Public Broadcasting: The COVID-era child tax credit saved her family
- “Families have said they used the money toward various essentials — ranging from rent to child care, food to flat tires. During the stressful holiday season, the money eased worries of having food on the table for Thanksgiving and being able to buy presents for Christmas.”
The Palm Beach Post Opinion: Child Tax Credit extension needed for Fla. families
- “Extending the monthly Child Tax Credit another year is just good public policy. Studies from Washington University in St. Louis and Humanity Forward show that in less than half a year, the monthly payments have helped reduce poverty and food insecurity for over 36 million American families.”
The Florida Times-Union Opinion: The child tax credit expansion is a lifeline – Mark Rubio wants to take It away
- “If Rubio spent time talking with parents like me who are relying on these tax cuts instead of playing partisan political games, he’d see that this program is helping us meet the rising costs of daily life that he’s done little to fight.”
Las Vegas Sun: As end of child tax credit payments approaches, Nevada Democrats push for extension
- “It’s just been a huge help in that area,” Muñoz, a Las Vegas mother, said. “You always think, ‘oh it’s some extra money.’ It’s never extra money. … Kids always need, there’s always something that needs to be bought.”
This is Reno: Nevada families have netted $750 million from child tax credit so far this year
- “In Nevada’s fourth congressional district, 97% of households benefited from the child tax credit lifting about 9,700 children out of poverty, according to Rep. Horsford’s office.”
We are Iowa: One more big IRS pay day in 2021 comes Wednesday for millions of Americans
- “Most eligible parents will get $300 for each qualifying child up to age 5 and $250 for children ages 6-17 on Wednesday”
Published: Dec 15, 2021
Last Modified: Dec 16, 2021