Last night, American Bridge 21st Century Co-Chair Cecile Richards joined MSNBC’s The Last Word with Lawrence O’Donnell to discuss the upcoming anniversary of the Dobbs decision and to thank Vice President Harris for her leadership in the fight to protect abortion rights.
- “Well, I’m so proud of Vice President Harris and so grateful that she is leading us.”
- “It’s as if in 19 states in America, once you are pregnant, you become a ward of the state. You essentially lose your rights. And that is something that is struck, it struck the hearts of, I think everyone in America.”
- “And so what I guess I do want to say on this anniversary is coming up to a year of having lost this right, the one thing I have learned is just how united this country is on the issue of abortion.”
- “And I think to the shock and dismay of a lot of people who have been pushing for these bans, but Republicans, independents, Democrats, people have voted against, and voted for abortion rights from Kansas, all across the country.”
- “And so I think what we’re seeing now is just, it is universal. People do not want the state to make these decisions for people, They’re hearing the stories that you and others have been lifting up. So people actually know the impact. And in fact, it’s interesting since the Supreme Court said they wanted this to be a state’s rights issue until they found out that no states want abortion banned.”
- “And so now, of course, the Republicans are busy trying to change the rules of voting and trying, trying to change our ability to, to vote on these kinds of issues. So, I feel like we are hearing from the American people. This is not right, this is not what they want. And I think that’s going to only continue to grow.”
Published: Jun 21, 2023