2022 Republican U.S. Senate candidates are getting what they’ve repeatedly asked for, with Politico reporting on a draft opinion suggesting that the Supreme Court’s Republican appointees have voted to strike down Roe v. Wade and advance Republicans’ agenda to roll back abortion rights and pave the way for more state-level and even federal bans outlawing abortion.
Here’s where the 2022 Republican Senate candidates stand on overturning Roe v. Wade and backing hardline bans to outlaw abortion:
- Every GOP Senate candidate running in Arizona supports overturning Roe v. Wade and outlawing abortion. Read Tucson Weekly’s report from October.
- Ron Hanks is currently pushing a bill to criminalize abortion in Colorado and “enforce homicide and assault provisions without regard to the opinion of the United States [S]upreme [C]ourt in Roe v. Wade and other supreme court decisions, past and future.”
- Marco Rubio in July 2021 asked the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.
- Vicky Hartzler has said the Supreme Court should overturn Roe v. Wade.
- Billy Long has said it’s time to “abort Roe v. Wade.”
- Mark McCloskey endorsed a total ban outlawing all abortions, including for teen rape and incest victims.
- Ted Budd in April 2022 confirmed he supports outlawing abortion without any exceptions. Previously, Budd praised the “creativity” of Alabama and Texas’ hardline abortion bans, and pledged to outlaw abortion “all the way back.” Budd in July 2021 asked the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade, and he’s voted against codifying Roe’s protections.
- Mark Walker as a U.S. House member sponsored legislation that anti-abortion groups praised because it would “end abortion” rights. He’s urged the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade and praised Texas and Mississippi’s hardline abortion bans.
- Chuck Morse is a longtime opponent of abortion rights and says he opposes the Women’s Health Protection Act. Morse has supported defunding Planned Parenthood. And as state Senate President, Morse was part of the legislative leadership team that added a highly-restrictive abortion ban to New Hampshire’s most recent budget, requiring mandatory ultrasounds for all people seeking abortion health care and punishment for doctors who provide abortions.
- Josh Mandel has called for banning all abortion and fully overturning Roe v. Wade.
- Mike Gibbons reaffirmed his anti-Roe agenda after the Texas’ hardline abortion ban went into effect.
- Matt Dolan opposes abortion rights.
- Ron Johnson in July asked the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade.
Published: May 2, 2022
Last Modified: May 3, 2022