“Dean Heller’s endorsement of pro-Yucca Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh says it all: Heller won’t even blink before selling out Nevadans to please his establishment cronies,” said American Bridge spokesperson Amelia Penniman.
Washington Post: The Energy 202: Kavanaugh’s court decision on Yucca Mountain could be campaign issue in Nevada Senate race
By Dino Grandoni | July 18
- Dean Heller has “lauded” Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s “record of adherence to the Constitution.”
- “But there is one spot in that record that may haunt Heller: an opinion penned byKavanaugh compelling the federal government to move forward with a nuclear waste storage project deeply unpopular in his home state of Nevada.”
- “Five years ago, a three-judge panel on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit ordered the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to consider an application to store nuclear waste within a remote mountain about 100 miles northwest of Las Vegas.”
- “Writing for the majority, Kavanaugh wrote the NRC is ‘simply flouting the law’ by refusing to consider the plan for a nuclear waste repository at Yucca Mountain. ‘The underlying policy debate is not our concern,’ Kavanaugh added.”
- “Both Heller and Rosen take credit for halting recent efforts to fund the Yucca project.”
Read the full article here.
Published: Jul 18, 2018