“Kevin Nicholson’s favorite out-of-state megadonor is also one of disgraced ex-judge Roy Moore’s biggest supporters. Illinois billionaire Dick Uihlein is spending lavishly to defend Roy Moore against credible accusations from nine women of sexual misconduct — including a girl as young as 14. That might be acceptable to Dick Uihlein, but it’s not acceptable to the people of Wisconsin. Kevin Nicholson needs to reject his sugar-daddy’s tainted support or prove himself a special interest puppet willing to go along with anything his wealthy campaign donors want,” said American Bridge spokesperson Joshua Karp.
The Daily Beast: Roy Moore Super PAC Financier Finally Revealed
Newly released documents show Illinois businessman Richard Uihlein is the moneyman behind a group seeking to send Moore to the Senate
By Lachlan Markay, 11/27/17
- “The chief financier of a leading pro-Roy Moore super PAC is a deep-pocketed Republican businessman who dropped eight figures on 2016 races alone and is looking to continue propping up the party’s most conservative candidates.”
- “Illinois businessman Richard Uihlein provided $100,000 to the group, Proven Conservatives PAC, since September, according to a new filing with the Federal Election Commission, making him by far the group’s top donor.”
- “That money, which hadn’t been previously disclosed, has financed a host of ads boosting Moore’s candidacy in the face of widespread sexual assault and harassment allegations. The group has also run ads attacking Moore’s primary opponent, Sen. Luther Strange (R-AL), and his Democratic general election rival Doug Jones.”
- Proven Conservative PAC officially formed in late August, as the Alabama Senate primary contest heated up. The only major financial support it had previously reported came from a company owned by the family of Alabama timber executive Guice Slawson.
- “Uihlein is single-handedly bankrolling a pair of super PACs supporting the Wisconsin Senate campaign of businessman and Marine veteran Kevin Nicholson. That spending has led Democrats in the state to accuse Uihlein of trying to buy the Senate seat for his preferred candidate.”
- “Nicholson, like Moore, received early backing from a coalition of populist-nationalist conservatives backed by Steve Bannon, Trump’s former chief strategist and the chairman of the right-wing website Breitbart News.”
Published: Nov 27, 2017