American Bridge 21st Century released the following statement on Eric Schmitt winning today’s Missouri Republican U.S. Senate primary, after using his AG position to promote his political ambitions:
“Eric Schmitt instituted a near total abortion ban, attempted to overturn the 2020 election results, and tried to block funding for Medicaid expansion, proving that he is out-of-touch with Missourians,” said American Bridge 21st Century spokesperson Dallas Prater. “As attorney general, Schmitt put his own political ambitions before the needs of Missourians — he would do the same as senator.
As AG, Eric Schmitt pursued cruel policies for his own political gain, demonizing LGBTQ people and instituting Missouri’s total abortion ban. He also led the coalition of Republican AGs, challenging the 2020 election results:
- Instituted a Near Total Abortion Ban:
- Backed Legal Challenges of 2020 Election Results:
- Schmitt led a coalition of 10 Republican AGs in filing an amicus brief against states where Trump and other Republican officials falsely claimed election results were fraudulent. The Supreme Court declined to hear any cases concerning bogus 2020 election fraud allegations.
- Attacked LGBTQ+ rights:
- Along with 13 other Republican AGs, Schmitt signed onto to an amicus brief that argued that gender identity and sexual orientation aren’t protected statuses under the Civil Rights Act. The Supreme Court ruled 6-3 that LGBTQ people are, indeed, protected from discrimination under the Civil Rights Act.
- Argued That Lawmakers Can Refuse To Fund Medicaid Expansion:
- Schmitt argued against the expansion of Medicaid for about 275,000 working adults in Missouri, and as Senator would likely oppose any expansion — forfeiting millions and millions of federal funds.
Published: Aug 2, 2022
Last Modified: Aug 26, 2022