According to a new report from Salon, despite criticizing Walmart for shipping jobs overseas and using “slave labor,” Ohio GOP U.S. Senate candidate J.D. Vance personally owns “between $50,000 and $100,000 in Walmart stock.” It’s just the latest proof that Vance is a fraud.
Salon: Ohio candidate J.D. Vance calls out Walmart for “slave labor” — and heavily invests in its stock
By: Igor Derysh | December 17, 2021
- “Ohio Republican Senate candidate J.D. Vance has accused Walmart of using ‘slave labor’ to make cheap products that undermine American jobs. But his latest personal financial disclosure shows he owns at least $50,000 in Walmart stock.”
- “Vance, who made a fortune as a venture capitalist before writing the best-selling book ‘Hillbilly Elegy,’ submitted his personal financial disclosure last month after missing the original filing deadline. It indicates that he owns between $50,000 and $100,000 in Walmart stock. (Such disclosure forms list ranges, rather than precise amounts.)”
- “‘J.D. Vance keeps proving that he’s an untrustworthy fraud,’ said Brad Bainum, a spokesperson for the Democratic super PAC American Bridge 21st Century.”
- “Vance has also drawn accusations of hypocrisy over his campaign against Big Tech, which he has accused of censoring conservatives, since he has spent years investing in tech startups at his venture capital firm Narya and before that at Mithril Capital, a Silicon Valley venture capital firm co-founded by Peter Thiel, a Facebook board member.”
- “On the campaign trail, Vance has also tied himself in knots trying to reposition himself as a pro-Trump Republican after repeatedly bashing the former president over the past several years before deciding to run for office himself. Vance in 2016 said he could not ‘stomach Trump’ and said his policy proposals ‘range from immoral to absurd.’ He now says he has had a change of heart and has ventured on something of an apology tour, even tagging along with Thiel — a major Trump donor who has sunk $10 million in Vance’s campaign — on a trip to Mar-a-Lago seeking an audience with Trump.”
Read the full report here.
Published: Dec 17, 2021
Last Modified: Jan 4, 2022